Baxi Ecogen micro-CHP unit
See our first micro CHP installation in Cambridge.
The Baxi Ecogen is the first widely available wall-hung domestic micro-CHP boiler in the UK. The boiler produces up to 1 kWe of electricity per hour, to be used throughout the owner’s home. Electricity that doesn’t get used can then be sold back to the local network. Micro-CHP units are also included within the Government’s Feed-in Tariff scheme. This means that owners of a unit receive an additional 13p on top of the standard sale price for each kilowatt hour (Kwh) of power they sell.
The benefits of local electricity generation and use mean an Ecogen unit can reduce yearly fuel bills by up to £600 and cut household carbon emissions by up to 40%. Servicing costs and intervals of every 12 months are similar to a standard boiler. The units only requires a single cable electrical connection and can be connected to an existing electricity circuit ensuring installation costs are minimised.
The Baxi Ecogen is a type of Stirling engine micro-CHP unit. Numerous other types of Stirling, alongside fuel cell and Organic Rankine Cycle, micro-CHP units from a wide range of other manufacturers are currently in development or nearing commercialisation.
The Baxi Ecogen dual energy system:
– Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0
– Baxi Ecogen LPG 24/1.0
The award winning Baxi Ecogen micro-CHP dual energy system not only provides highly efficient heating and hot water, it also generates low cost, low carbon electricity in the process. It registered under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), meaning it is also eligible for the Government’s Feed-in Tariff.
The Baxi Ecogen, at the same time as providing efficient gas central heating and hot water like any other boiler, it also produces up to 1kW of electricity per hour. By generating your electricity at the same time as providing heat and hot water for your home, you can expect to save up to £600 on your annual fuel bill.
What’s more, any electricity that you don’t use in your own home, you could sell back to your electricity supplier for an agreed tax-free and inflation linked price. Electricity suppliers will pay householders a generation and export tariff for every kilowatt hour (kWh) of electricity generated and for every kWh of electricity exported back to the electricity grid.
Central heating and hot water are produced by the same technology that has been proven on Baxi’s award-winning high efficiency boilers. Meanwhile, electricity is generated by a Stirling external combustion engine, invented by Robert Stirling in the nineteenth Century.
Generating electricity for your home
The Baxi Ecogen produces up to 1kWe of electricity that can be used throughout your home.
Baxi Ecogen can be wall-hung in your kitchen, utility or garage. In older homes it is also one of the most effective ways of making your house more energy efficient.
- Is a logical, practical and familiar alternative to a regular boiler and offers some unique benefits compared to other microgeneration technologies (solar, wind turbines)
- Does not rely on building orientation or weather conditions to generate electricity
- Does not require planning permission
- Has an energy meter displaying electricity generation
- Has a single power connection – no additional wiring required for supply of electricity
- Can be connected to an existing electricity circuit
- Is available with a range of dedicated controls for maximum cost and carbon savings
- Has a large white backlit display for easy visibility
- Has a service due display
- Is available in LPG models for off gas areas
- Is Sustainability Now’s Green Innovation Award winner, 2010
WhisperGen’s exclusive technology, the result of more than 25 years of development, is unique on the market. With the aim of offering demanding European homes the most reliable product, we are constantly carrying out R&D and innovation on the WhisperGen Stirling engine and improving the micro-cogeneration technique.
In addition, its reliability is extensively backed by its contrasted operation in thousands of homes in more than 15 European countries.
To guarantee the highest quality standards, all WhisperGen systems are subjected to a personalised operating test before release onto the market.
Heat Production:7,5-14,5 kW
Energy Production: 1 kW
Energy Consumption: 11-60W
Energy Efficiency: 96%
Saving CO2 Emissions: 1 ton per family/year
Size: 49,1cm wide*83,8cm high*56,3cm deep
Weight: 142 kg
Noise: 46 db
Nominal Head Output at 60-80ºC: 7.5-8.3 kW
Heat Output with auxiliary burner at 60-80ºC:13.2-14.5kW
Silent, Low-Maintenance Engine
WhisperGen”s operation is based on its exclusive 4-stroke Stirling engine, which is particularly silent and efficient and runs on natural gas combustion. It is an external combustion engine that contains nitrogen sealed in its interior. As an external combustion engine, the WhisperGen engine requires hardly any maintenance.
It only requires a technical inspection like any other home heating appliance. The harmonious movement of the four pistons in the WhisperGen”s Stirling engine gives it a reliability and robustness superior to that of any other engine on the market.
Low Emissions of CO2 and Greenhouse Gases
Due to its high efficiency index, higher than 90%, WhisperGen contributes to reducing emissions of CO2 and greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
– ” As the energy is produced in the same place as it will be consumed, the home, transmission losses are almost completely eliminated (they can reach 55% in the case of energy generated in traditional power stations).
– ” Obtaining a double benefit from the same amount of fuel (generating heat and electricity), means that a more efficient use is made of it.
This way, WhisperGen allows savings of up to 1 ton of CO2 emissions per family per year.
The installation of a WhisperGen micro-cogeneration system does not entail any complications for the home; it requires no work, it can be installed in one day in new and old buildings. WhisperGen is installed in a similar way to other heat generating devices for the home, with the main difference being its connection to the electrical supply.
As it is a unique micro-cogeneration system on the market, only accredited WhisperGen installers are capable of carrying out the installation with the total safety and professionalism required.
Different Configurations of the WhisperGen System.
In order to better adapt to the space and lifestyle needs of each home and obtain the greatest energy efficiency, different types of WhisperGen configurations and hot water cylinders are available.
Key Aspects of the WhisperGen System.
– Longer operating time, greater gains.
– Larger tank, more heat stored for the home.
– Longer operation and larger tank, higher efficiency.
About the size of a washing machine, BlueGen connects directly to your natural gas supply, delivering low carbon electricity, 24 hours a day. It’s virtually silent, very efficient and reduces your carbon footprint significantly.
Fuel cell technology is at the forefront of co-generation and micro-Combined Heat and Power. Fuel Cells generate electricity efficiently from hydrogen rich fuels, through a clean electrochemical reaction rather than dirty combustion. BlueGen is a leader in fuel cell technology, creating electricity from natural gas with 60 per cent electrical efficiency and 25 per cent thermal efficiency
BlueGen can be installed on-site in your home or business. It contains standard connections and operates with virtually no noise. Key benefits include:
- Up to 36 kilowatt-hours of electricity per day
- 200 litres of ‘free’ hot water per day
- Carbon dioxide savings of up to 14.5 tonnes per year
- Unconstrained by seasons or weather
- Simple installation with standard connections
- Integrates easily with renewable technologies such as solar PV or solar thermal hot water
- Constantly monitored by advanced fault detection technology